Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Casserole Day

Yesterday was casserole day in the studio and in the kitchen. Here's a picture of a couple of the larger casseroles I threw. Today they will get trimmed and I will add handles to the lids. I make the gallery towards the outer edge of the bottom part of the dish which makes it easier to get all of the food out of the casserole at dinner and make clean-up after dinner easier. The other benefit is that the flared edge also acts as a handle so you never have to worry about putting the casserole dish into the oven with the handles in the wrong position. Yes, I've don't this, don't ask how.

New Casserole Dishes - Lori Buff
Young Casserole Dishes

Any handmade casserole should be put into the oven when the oven is cold so the oven and the clay can warm up together.  Even though I use Highwater's Phoenix clay, which is designed to resist thermal shock and does so well enough to be used for my horse hair raku, it's still a really good practice.  It also actually saves energy because your cooking time is cut down a little.

We also had a delicious veggie casserole for dinner last night.  It looked so good I even remembered to take a picture.  I'll get the recipe together and post it soon.

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery

Comments

  1. How clever to have the rim, I've put the handles in the wrong position too. Ha. too hot to handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I feel better now. You're a good cook, if you've done something like that with the handles I know I'm in good company.

      Delete
  2. it's certainly turning to casserole weather! looking forward to your photo & recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I tell customers: "it was NOT made to be baked, but people do so successfully, watch the quick temp shocks!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary, mine actually ARE made to be baked, they are fine in the microwave, dishwasher and conventional oven as long as you don't set the oven higher than 2300 degrees.

      Delete
  4. I am ready for new recipes.
    Good thoughts are how they are made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good thoughts are the first ingredient in a good recipe.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts