Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Tea Pot Tuesday - Side Handled Tea Pot For Left Handed People

It's Tea Pot Tuesday again.  You may remember from last week that Potter/blogger Gary Rith has started encouraging potters to post pictures of our tea pots on Tea Pot Tuesday.  I'm not sure how long I can keep this up since I don't make too many tea pots, or maybe I'll be inspired to make more.

Today's tea pot is a small side handled tea pot. The side handle is an Asian design.  I like the way it looks and I like that the handle does not get in way when you're filling the tea pot with boiling water.  Yes, you could just put this pot in the microwave and heat the water that way but sometimes it's nice to use a tea kettle and listen for the whistle.

When I made the first set of travel mugs several readers commented that they are left handed and the mugs wouldn't work for them (actually, you can drink out of either side of these travel mugs so it's okay), which got me thinking.  When I make other mugs I make some left handed and right handed but what about tea pots?  I'm ambidextrous when drinking out of a mug but not when pouring tea.  So I made this little tea pot so that left hand dominant people can use it comfortably, but I also made it small enough that it should be comfortable for a right handed person to use, just with their non-dominant hand.
Woodfired teapot with side handle by Future Relics Pottery
Side Handled Wood Fired Tea Pot


The tea pot was thrown with Highwater's Orangestone clay and fired in the wood kiln at Penland School of Crafts this past winter.  You can see more pictures of it in my Etsy Store.

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. I love this style of teapot but have never used one, can they be used for right and left handed folks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one can be used by either because it's light enough to be comfortable.

      Delete
  2. I've seen side handle teapots, but never thought of doing one for left handers. Great idea and a neat pot too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DANG that is a cool item :) thanks for teapotting on Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Left handed but society made many things right hand ubiquitous. Including teapots !

    xot

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts