Skip to main content

Featured

Golden Cloud

via Instagram https://ift.tt/2Je4P64

Don't Postpone Joy

If you've ever been to the Penland Benefit Auction you've seen this slogan on a bumper sticker.  You might have even picked one up and put it on your car or somewhere else.  If you read the smaller type you'll see it promotes Laurey's Catering in Asheville, NC.  Laurey and her team catered the auction dinner until Laurey lost her battle with cancer this year.  They still cater the auction, Laurey is there in spirit.

I've been thinking about this phrase a lot in the past few weeks as I experienced my father's diagnosis of pancreatic cancer and his death only 5 weeks later.  We never imagined it would be that fast, we felt that we had another moment to spend with him, and then we didn't.

About a week or so before my dad passed away I read a post in the wonderful blog Zenhabits that asked the question "..if you had a month to live:  how would you spend it?"  I've sat at the bedside of several people with only one month to live and I can tell you, you would spend it in a hospital bed surrounded by people saying good-bye while they tried to keep you comfortable.  I brought dad some figs from the tree outside my house.  We raised it from a twig and now it produces ample fruit for us, our friends, the birds, and the squirrels.  He was excited when I told him I brought some but didn't want one at that moment, he wasn't hungry.  He never tasted one.  Don't postpone joy.

Yes, my head is in a weird place right now.  Thankfully, I have some clay to stick my hands into with the hopes of making something beautiful and bringing some joy into the lives of others.  Not everyone is so lucky as me.  Maybe today you'll call someone and tell them that you love them or stop and pet a dog that wants nothing more than a belly rub.  If you live in New Jersey and want to do something maybe you can participate in this Walk for Pancreatic Cancer Research.  Whatever you do and however you spend this day I hope you find some joy.

Check out the gallery page - Future Relics Gallery by Lori Buff

Comments

  1. Lori I am so sorry for the loss of your father. So many of us bloggers are going through the same things this year. I guess that's what happens when you get to be about our age. It's part of life, but it doesn't make it any easier.
    My Mom also lived about a month after her cancer diagnosis. I find comfort in the fact that she didn't suffer for months on end.
    Take care of yourself and allow time to grieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MichÄ—le, I know you understand all too well what I'm going through. I'm sorry about that for you.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea that your father had passed, so sorry. so true about not postponing joy, I've come to regret a few decisions or lack of them and try to remind myself every day to think about my decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your Dad's passing Lori and thankful that you didn't delay your visit to spend time with him. Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, so sorry to hear about your father and so true. Forget grand bucket lists, try to savor and appreciate all living moments, we don't know what we have!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts